Email marketing is a form of direct marketing, which uses electronic mail as a medium to communicate commercial or fundraising messages to viewers. In its broadest sense, every email sent to a prospective or current customer can be considered e-mail marketing. However, the term is usually used:
- To increase the relation of a trader with his existing or previous customers and to send email for the purpose of encouraging customer loyalty and repeat business
- Send emails for the purpose of getting new customers or urging existing customers to buy something immediately
- Adding advertisements to emails sent to other customers by other companies.
There are several important benefits to traditional mail marketing in e-mail marketing, including:
- An exact return on the investment can be tracked and when it is done properly it becomes high. Email marketing is often said to be the second to find marketing as the most effective online marketing strategy.
- Advertisers can reach an adequate email subscriber who has opted to receive email communications on topics of interest.
- More than half of all Internet users check or send email on a normal day.
- Email marketers allow access to consumers with personal, relevant, dynamic messaging.
- Transactional emails allow businesses to respond automatically to important consumer events such as shopping or abandonment of shop-cars.